[RFC] Implementing Wayland Security Module

Manuel Bachmann manuel.bachmann at open.eurogiciel.org
Wed Mar 11 10:51:41 PDT 2015

Hi Jasper,

"Why are fullscreen and resolution change privileged operations?"

Personally, I think fullscreen should be allowed by default, but could be
disallowed on a per-application-basis ; because a few ones could abuse it
by re-triggering repeatedly (it made a great testcase for the demo,
however).

Regarding resolution change, I'm not even sure it's in WSM ;-), but that's
direct access to the hardware modes ; what about an app changing modes
every 5 seconds while minimized so you cannot easily kill it ? You can
imagine the compositor's default UI would be authorized, but a third-party
app (like a video game) would at least need to ask the first time.

"I will not implement support for WSMs in mutter. I have given my opinion
on why I think technical solutions to security problems and security
policies are bogus before. I won't bother to repeat it here."

We discussed that on IRC, I can understand your position.

Regards,
Manuel