After exiting weston all consoles not working anymore

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 03:54:32 PDT 2015

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 09:47:54 +0100
Thilo Cestonaro <thilo at cestona.ro> wrote:

> >> Further debugging.
> >>
> >> I managed to start weston-launch from tty1 without --tty, --user and
> >> openvt as a normal user.
> >>
> >> While weston is running I can switch between tty1-6 with Ctrl+Alt+FX.
> >> When I stop weston (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace), the display gets black and
> >> switching the consoles isn't possible anymore.
> >>
> >> It looks like weston-launch recieves a SIGSEGV. At least gdb tells
> >> this.
> >> Sadly I cant get any bt as the "program no longer exists" :(
> >>
> >> GDBServer outputs:
> >> Child terminated with signal = 0xb (SIGSEGV)
> >>
> >> BUT, the script which I start weston-launch from (which holds only one
> >> line which is the launch of weston-launch)
> >> is still running.... fork .... while(1) ?
> >>
> >> Any ideas how I can debug this?
> >
> > You make it sound even more strange every hour.
> >
> > Sorry, I have no idea. Is there systemd on that system? Or a logind?
> >

> The system is booted via systemd and systemd-logind is running, but I
> neither have used it nor know how to use it, yet. :)
>
> Should I give it a try to start weston via systemd-logind. Weston is
> already compiled with systemd support.

If it is a recent enough systemd and Weston is built with systemd
support, I'd assume weston-launch is already using logind... or is it
Weston? Is one even supposed to use weston-launch at all with a
logind-enabled system?

I'm just not familiar with these things.

How about just running 'weston' as a normal user (not root) from a VT?

Jasper's launcher patches might do something here, but I haven't had
time to look at them, nor have I a systemd system to test in.