[RFC] Screensaver/blanking inhibition

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 01:14:24 PST 2015

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 05:09:09 -0500
Christopher Michael <cpmichael at osg.samsung.com> wrote:

> On 11/19/2015 05:04 AM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 04:20:11AM -0500, Christopher Michael wrote:
> >> Just some random thoughts inlined below...

> >> xdg-screensaver.xml maybe ??
> >
> > Ah, I was thinking the requests should be added to one of the existing
> > protocol files, but hadn't thought maybe it should go into its own xml
> > file.  Hmm...
> >

> Well, having it inside it's own xml/protocol file would allow easier
> adoption (IMO) as you (read: implementors) do not have to go back and
> modify "existing" code (read: potentially large files) to support it.
> Also, those that do not wish to support it (or they cook up their own),
> can safely ignore it. Storing it in an existing protocol file
> potentially means that they cannot avoid it (thinking protocol version
> number gets bumped, other unrelated things in that protocol file get
> changed, etc, etc)...

Making a new file is good, yes.

I just want to point out, that even if you added it in an existing file,
it would not imply anything to implementations, as long as the
foundation of the new interface hierarchy is a new global interface.
Global interfaces can be implemented or not implemented independently
in general, because they are advertised to clients separately. Whether
it is in a same or different xml file has little consequence.

There are other reasons to favour a separate XML file, and one of them
is the wayland-protocols development model for unstable protocols.