black surface in desktop shell fullscreen mode

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 00:29:28 PDT 2015

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:04:49 +0300
Giulio Camuffo <giuliocamuffo at gmail.com> wrote:

> You get a black surface because weston puts a black surface behind the
> fullscreen one even if it has the right size, and it seems like it
> doesn't remove the black surface when the client surface attachs a
> NULL buffer. That's a weston bug, i'd say.

Giulio's analysis sounds good to me. I think no-one has tried - or
reported - to hide a window using wl_shell that was also fullscreen, so
probably we have never considered that case in the code.

Very likely a Weston bug indeed, specifically in the case of committing
a NULL wl_buffer when using wl_shell. Transparency was a red herring
all along.