State of Wayland protocol development

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 02:20:20 PDT 2015

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 14:26:05 +0800
Jonas Ã…dahl <jadahl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 02:44:15PM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > one remaining question I have though: what are we to do with changes to the
> > wayland protocol itself, e.g. the pointer axis changes. There are a few that
> > cannot be easily added as separate interface, do we bite the bullet there
> > and merge it into the wayland protocol directly? or can we figure out some
> > overlay protocol where we override the official?
> >

> An overlay protocol sounds scary. I think we'll just have to accept that
> making changes to wayland.xml will have to go through the wayland
> repository.

For the final stable protocol, yes.

During protocol development though, we could add a bit of extra and ugly
protocol to create experimental add-on intefaces to e.g. wl_seat. This
would be similar to how you plug wl_viewport to wl_surface (scaler.xml).

When the protocol finally gets stabilized, the experimental global
interface will be removed, and the changes to the protocol and code are
hopefully purely mechanical and fairly easy to review.

Can you see that working?

It is a heavy-weight method, so probably not useful for easy additions.