State of Wayland protocol development

Derek Foreman derekf at osg.samsung.com
Fri Sep 25 09:15:10 PDT 2015

On 18/09/15 11:12 AM, Giulio Camuffo wrote:
> [...]
>> protocol version in the file name though.
>>

>>> Should we allow merging protocols into Weston without an implementation
>>> in Weston? Well, if you need a single central repository, and you are
>>> usually expected to give a Weston implementation sooner or later, then
>>> why not.
>>
>> Well that is something we'd have to decide upon. Should all staging
>> unstable protocols have a weston implementation to be considered
>> "official"? I don't know. We could try I guess.
>>

>>> Is using Weston repository for protocols the right place? Considering
>>> the files should not be installed, but they mostly expect to have Weston
>>> implementations, yes. Would this be too slow? Well, there are people
>>> with push rights around, and if we agree on very loose requirements on
>>> pushing experimental protocol patches, maybe it wouldn't be too slow.
>>>
>>> Should we be using a different Weston branch for including all the
>>> experimental stuff while leaving master for "stable development"? Nah,
>>> I think that might become a mess.[*]
>>
>> I don't think we should. Branches will bit-rot and it will be a pain to
>> have to rebase them over and over again. They will also be harder to
>> discover and test. The main goal really is to make it more obvious where
>> to find in-progress protocols, and I don't think hiding them in branches
>> helps that much.
>>

>>> What do you do when you do a backward-incompatible change to a protocol?
>>>
>>> - Rename the globals or the protocol file? This would make people think
>>>   twice about the change as it would incur lots of churn in the code.
>>>   The churn shouldn't be a problem for review, since we wouldn't review
>>>   experimental implementations carefully. But it's still churn.
>>
>> The way I've done it and also the way we did with pointer gestures is to
>> prefix all of the interfaces with an underscore, with a note in the
>> global interface's description describing the limitations and lack of
>> backward compatibility as well as future intentions. See here[0] for
>> exact wording.
>>
>> A protocol bump can be backward compatible "by accident" and it'd be up
>> to the protocol designer to decide whether she/he wants to state any
>> compatibility, but the main idea is that a client should only bind the
>> exact same version it implements, and a server should terminate a client
>> that tries to bind an incompatible version.
>
> We could also add a "_N" suffix to the interface name, where N would
> be the version number. This way a client can easily check the version
> of the interface implemented and only bind the global name with the
> right version, and at the same time it allows to do backward
> compatible changes to the interface by increasing the normal interface
> version.
> Moreover, if a compositor feels like it, it can implement many
> different incompatible versions of the interface at the same time.
> When stable, the _N suffix would be removed.

This does have some appeal from EFL/Enlightenment's perspective.  We've
already been discussing keeping multiple old versions of xdg-shell.xml
around and trying to find a way to ensure that anything we supported in
a release continues to be supported... somehow.

Crazy maybe, I dunno.  But your proposal seems to makes it possible with
a reduction in effort...