black surface in desktop shell fullscreen mode

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 09:50:09 PDT 2015

If you are actually destroying the fullscreen surface, then this sounds
like a bug.

The inability to make a fullscreen surface partially-transparent is on
purpose, though it might be considered a design error. I believe Weston is
trying to pad out the buffer (which may be the wrong shape or size) to fill
the screen. It could do this by adding black rectangles around it, so
transparency still works, but instead it is putting a black fullscreen
rectangle behind it. Possibly better would be to replicate the edge pixels
of the buffer to fill the screen, which would give the client an easy way
to control the color and transparency of the fill area. Also any rule for
how this is done needs to apply to normal windows for any cases where the
client does not produce a buffer that is the size/shape the compositor
wants, this occurs in tiled window managers.