weston-info

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Apr 6 12:12:01 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 6 April 2016 at 07:56, Jonas Ã…dahl <jadahl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2016 at 11:55:42AM +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>> > So, a new repository seems to be needed. Let the bikeshedding for the
>> > name begin! ;-)
>> >
>> > (Is it expected to host other universal Wayland tools?)
>>
>> Very good question, do we have any other universal tool of general use like
>> weston-info?
>>
>> I would be fine with a dedicated repo (
>> Xorg tend
>> to use one repo per tool
>> , e.g.
>> xdpyinfo
>> , xdriinfo, xwininfo, xprop within xorg/app) so maybe we could have
>> "wayland/tools/
>> wayland-info
>> "
>> ?
>>
>> "wayland-info" would be fine by me, for both repo and tool name.
>
> Just a fly by shed color thought. If we in the future want to add more
> generic debug tools (for example something like xev that is a bit more
> nice than "WAYLAND_DEBUG=1 weston-terminal |& grep -e '[insert complex
> expression here]'") then maybe "wayland-tools" or "wayland-utils"?
> Then again "wayland-info" is nice because it sounds more like a
> "read-only" thing than "-tools" and "-utils".

+1 for something like that - and the tool you're thinking of (though
incredibly unpolished) is weston-eventdemo. ;)

I'd prefer they weren't split into one repo per tool. I think, and
this is pretty much the general consensus of upstream and distributors
both, that we went too far with unbundling during Xorg modularisation.
It doesn't give anyone any practical benefit, and just makes life a
bit more difficult.

Cheers,
Daniel