Remote display with 3D acceleration using Wayland/Weston

DRC dcommander at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Dec 16 17:35:48 UTC 2016

On 12/16/16 3:06 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> I should probably tell a little more, because what I explained above is
> a simplification due to using a single path for all buffer types.

Thanks again.  This is all very new to me, and I guess I don't fully
understand where these buffer types would come into play.  Bearing in
mind that I really don't care whether non-OpenGL applications are
hardware-accelerated, does that simplify anything?  It would be
sufficient if only OpenGL applications could render using the GPU.  The
compositor itself doesn't necessarily need to.

> Lastly, and I believe this is the most sad part for you, is that NVIDIA
> proprietary drivers do not work (the way we would like).
>
> NVIDIA has been proposing for years a solution that is completely
> different to anything explained above: EGLStreams, and for the same
> amount of years, the community has been unimpressed with the design.
> Anyway, NVIDIA did implement their design and even wrote patches for
> Weston which we have not merged. Other compositors (e.g. Mutter) may
> choose to support EGLStreams as a temporary solution.

I guess I was hoping to take advantage of the EGL_PLATFORM_DEVICE_EXT
extension that allows for off-screen OpenGL rendering.  It currently
works with nVidia's drivers:
https://gist.github.com/dcommander/ee1247362201552b2532