Weston

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 12:52:17 UTC 2016

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 11:32:03 +0000
Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> pq I don't want to abuse anything but like you confirmed shell is the only
> usable option I have now.
>
> Of curse I'll update the configuration as soon as autolaunch app is
> available but if there are no other options what should I do? 'cause
> falling back to X11 is what I do already for platforms that don't run well
> on wayland due missing OS drivers.
>
> I hope I don't have to force every device to run on X11 via basic
> `.xinitrc` and `startx` mechanism so I'll be asking help and hints once
> it's possible to do what I'm doing already.
>
> It's not "my choice" or "my opinion", it's right now the only way to
> achieve what I wanted to achieve.

Have you tried starting the browser with systemd?

It would be very nice if that worked. You can have systemd restart it
if it crashes etc.

> > I just don't know how to do auto-login with systemd
>
> What I do is basically this:
> https://github.com/WebReflection/benja/blob/gh-pages/os/sh/install-common#L88
>
> ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty -nia benja %I $TERM
>
> in /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty1.service
>
> change benja with your username and you'll have automatic login.

Sounds nice. OTOH, now I've been told that you don't actually need
that, if you configure the systemd system units properly.

> To make weston launch after the systemd service I've linked at my first
> reply:
> https://github.com/WebReflection/benja/blob/gh-pages/os/sh/weston-compositor.service

It would be very interesting to hear if that worked in a systemd user
unit. AFAICT, what you have is a system unit.

So, there are several ways to go about it. Have everything as system
units that set up the session, have your auto-login system unit and
use user units for weston and browser, or something else.

systemd has been designed to care for processes, so implementing
similar features in every compositor is a bit odd.