How to configure/use/assign hardware pipeline/plane for specific application?

Vikas Patil vikasmpatil at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 07:01:22 UTC 2017

Dear All,

I am using wayland/weston 1.11.0 (with ivi-shell and drm-backend) with
DRA7xx (TI's automotive SoC) and Linux  4.4. I am investigating on how
could wayalnd based application can be assigned to use particular pipeline.

Use-case details:
As TI's DRA7xx SoC provides 1 graphics and 3 video pipeline (also refereed
as plane).  For example I would like to assign GFX pipeline to GUI
application, VID1 pipeline to video player, VID2
pipeline to camera application and VID3 for some other application.

I can see currently weston uses only GFX pipeline.  Is there a way to do
this using wayland/weston? What needs to be done to achieve this?

Thanks & Regards,
Vikash