Return values in Wayland XML specification

Quentin Glidic sardemff7+wayland at sardemff7.net
Wed May 24 18:41:14 UTC 2017

On 5/24/17 8:37 PM, adlo wrote:
>> On 24 May 2017, at 16:43, Quentin Glidic <sardemff7+wayland at sardemff7.net> wrote:
>>
>> There is no need, because the compositor is supposed to list only relevant surfaces.
>
> What I would like to do is get the desktop window so that I can display a fake live image of the empty desktop as a background to my full-screen window switcher, so that I can imply that the windows have flown up and rearranged themselves on the window switcher, similar to GNOME Shell, but without the 3D effects or GL stuff.
>
> At the moment I have something like this:
>
> WnckWindow * lightdash_compositor_get_root_window (LightdashCompositor *compositor)
> {
> 	GList *li;
>
> 	for (li = wnck_screen_get_windows (compositor->screen); li != NULL; li = li->next)
> 	{
> 		WnckWindow *win = WNCK_WINDOW (li->data);
>
> 		if (wnck_window_get_window_type (win) == WNCK_WINDOW_DESKTOP)
> 		{
> 			return win;
> 		}
> 	}
> 	return NULL;
> }
>
> How could I do this?

You don’t, the compositor does. If you need that, you ask the compositor
to do it, because only the compositor knows the content of other
clients’ surfaces.
That would require additions to the protocol. If you are interested,
please file an issue on GitHub so we can discuss the details.

--

Quentin “Sardem FF7” Glidic