how to handle the last_error of wl_display

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 10:33:35 UTC 2018

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 16:59:35 +0800
zou lan <nancy.lan.zou at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear pekka & All:
>
> I find a wayland application report error about allocate memory fail.
> I check the code, after request to weston to allocate dma buffer, it call
> wl_display_roundtrip().
> But this function return very fast, it doesn't block until the create
> events back.
>
> I suspect the display->last_error is not 0. Then the wl_display_roundtrip()
> return fast because of the last_error. Does it right?

Hi,

sounds plausible.

> I find the following log:
>
> wl_display at 1: error 0: invalid object 10

Your application has a bug.

> Does the application need to handle the display errors? How could I make
> the last_error not impact wl_display_roundtrip?

All protocol errors are always fatal: they cause the client to be
disconnected and render the client wl_display unusable. The application
can only report the error somewhere and quit.

Protocol errors always imply a bug. Usually the bug is in the client
code, but it could be in compositor code as well.