How to properly list number of monitors

Jean Hertel jean.hertel at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 31 13:20:18 UTC 2019

From: Pekka Paalanen

>My point here is, it might be best to not assume that a Wayland
>connection always defines which rendering device is being used. It
>only defines which rendering device or devices might be preferred.

Mesa provides the extension EGL_EXT_platform_wayland[1].
This extension allows the user to get an EGLDisplay from a Wayland
display connection.
I think for now I'm safe assuming the default EGL display will be used
for rendering.

>Maybe adriconf could be used to configure certain apps to use a
>certain rendering device, overriding the display server
>preference,
That is supported under MESA using device_id in the configuration.
You can make any application render by default with a different
driver/gpu. I think the application is still able to enumerate the
devices and change them if they want so.

Thanks for the answers, they clarified a lot of stuff.

Kind regards,
Jean Hertel
[1]: https://www.khronos.org/registry/EGL/extensions/EXT/EGL_EXT_platform_wayland.txt