Fbdev-backend removal from Weston (Re: Upcoming release)

makepost at firemail.cc makepost at firemail.cc
Wed Jan 23 20:52:52 UTC 2019

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 10:17:32 +0200
Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> keep it around for some more, but the simple fact that some hardware
> exists that does not have a working DRM driver is not enough

Fbdev worked out of the box on my Bay Trail system, but DRM kept
freezing where only SysRq helped. It seems an issue in Mesa, downgrade
to 18.1.9 and exporting WESTON_DISABLE_ATOMIC=y works, but I haven't
been able to track and report, because nothing weird got in the logs. By
all means delete this backend if it's tech debt, though some users are
there yet. Looking forward to new releases so I can unmask