[RFC wayland-protocols v2 1/1] Add the color-management protocol

Graeme Gill graeme2 at argyllcms.com
Wed Mar 6 02:44:39 UTC 2019

Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> Sebastian's protocol proposal includes render intent from applications.
> Conversion of client content to the blending space should ideally be
> lossless, so the render intent in that step should be irrelevant if I
> understand right. How to deal with render intent when converting from
> blending space to output space is not clear to me, since different
> windows may have different intents. Using the window's intent for the
> window's pixels works only if the pixel in the framebuffer comes from
> exactly one window and not more.

Conceptually the conversion from source space to destination
is a single step, with a single intent. So conceptually any
conversions after this for the purposes of blending don't
have to pay any regard to intent - it's already applied.

Blending could convert from the device space back
to XYZ, blend, and then convert back to device space.
It would use whatever intent is appropriate for blending
purposes, i.e. probably Relative Colorimetric.
But I doubt this is the best approach. (see my previous
post on blending.)

Cheers,
	Graeme Gill.