[RFC wayland-protocols v2 1/1] Add the color-management protocol

Graeme Gill graeme2 at argyllcms.com
Thu Mar 7 20:58:48 UTC 2019

Kai-Uwe wrote:

Hi,

> Device links are a serialisation of a color transform. lcms supports to
> dump color transforms to device links and load a device link into a
> color transform. Device link profiles come with little effort. Device
> links provide applications a entry to let the compositor do custom color
> space conversions on the GPU.

The problem is that device links don't fulfill the tagging purpose
needed for the Compositor to be able to re-target a buffer at
a different display. So yes, you are right that there is scope
to off-load a 3D->3D link conversion to the Compositor, but it complicates
the protocol, and I don't think the extra complexity is necessary
for an initial implementation. But I will have a think about how it
would fit in.

And (correct me if I'm wrong but) isn't the whole purpose of Wayland that
the client is responsible for rendering, and is given the tools to be
able to do it ? i.e. it has access to the buffers and GPU if it wants to
implement its own color management that way.

Cheers,
	Graeme.