Fwd: State of network transparency & a possible approach

Erik De Rijcke derijcke.erik at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 06:24:13 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Van: Erik De Rijcke <derijcke.erik at gmail.com>
Date: zo 31 mrt. 2019 om 08:23
Subject: Re: State of network transparency & a possible approach
To: Manuel Stoeckl <wayl at mstoeckl.com>

Hi Manuel,

Network transparant wayland has already been done:
https://github.com/udevbe/greenfield
Disclaimer: I am the author of Greenfield.

There are no protocol changes required to make it work. There are however
some other requirements aside from needing access to the underlying raw
protocol (obviously).
Some buffer protocol libraries are opaque to the compositor (wl_shm,
wl_drm, ...). In order to make those work over network, you either need to
completely re-implement (complex) those in a network compatible way with
lots of roundtrips (slow),
or you can keep the current existing implementation and only bother with
the final buffer when it needs to be send. This is how it's in Greenfield.
This however requires some internal libwayland-server state to be visible &
synced between both ends of the network, which is why Greenfield uses a
libwayland-server fork.

In fact you could actually make your idea work on Greenfield with minimal
code changes, if you're ok with web sockets and webrtc data channels. You'd
only need to write a server side compositor daemon that outputs surfaces
using a per-client connection to an existing running native compositor.
There's also work to be done in regards to copy-past/dnd in Greenfield (it
uses a direct p2p connection between clients when transferring content),
although I guess you can defer that until you have a prototype working.

I'm happy to go deeper on the details if you like. I've been meaning to
write it down for some time now anyway.

Erik