Questions about wl_pointer.set_cursor

Alexandros Frantzis alexandros.frantzis at collabora.com
Tue Nov 17 15:38:32 UTC 2020

Hi everyone!

I have some questions about the expected behavior of
wl_pointer.set_cursor:

1. Is setting the same surface as the cursor for multiple pointers allowed?
   I don't see anything disallowing this in the spec (but see (2)).
   If this is allowed, are there any useful scenarios for this?

2. Is the cursor role for a surface specific to a particular pointer?
   That is, is the role == "cursor", or role == "cursor-for-pointer-X"
   (which would implicitly disallow reusing the surface on multiple
   pointers)?

3. When, after an enter event, we set a cursor surface that has a
   attached buffer from a previous enter, is there any requirement to
   recommit the buffer? It doesn't seem this is the case from the spec,
   but Weston doesn't like it if we don't recommit. This is likely a bug,
   but just making sure.

Thanks,
Alexandros