Wayland crashes when label size in Gtk is large

Jonas Ådahl jadahl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 08:51:47 UTC 2021

On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 01:45:37PM +0000, Irene Kravets wrote:
> I am using Wayland/Weston.  Running a simple Python script that uses Gtk to display a couple of labels. If the size of the label font goes past a certain size (nothing unreasonable), Wayland crashes with error message "Error 71 (Protocol error) dispatching to Wayland display". I enabled WAYLAND_DEBUG and I see "xdg_surface buffer does not match the configured state" in the log.  If the text of the label is truly too large to fit (which it's not), I would expect it to be clipped or perhaps not be displayed, but I wouldn't expect a crash.  How do I fix this issue?

This sounds like the gtk window is e.g. maximized, or fullscreen, but
ignores the configuration it received to fulfill those states. Ignoring
that state is a violation of the protocol specification, and thus a bug
in gtk.

I suggest opening a bug in the gtk issue tracker:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/new

Jonas