Wayland fd watching

Maksim Sisov msisov at igalia.com
Thu Jan 13 12:05:47 UTC 2022

On 2022-01-13 11:42, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> [...]
>> >
>> > looks like that was a year ago. I had forgot. :-)
>>
>> Time flies!

>> > Surely they are the same client (connection)?
>>
>> Yes, they are.

>> > I see. Yes, there is the assumption that if a thread prepares to read,
>> > then it will either read or cancel the read in finite time (ASAP).

>> > Right, I can see that working.

>> > It works, but it's not a "proposed" design in my opinion. Doing
>> > all of prepare/read/dispatch in each thread is the "intended" usage.
>> >
>> > I think the core of the problem is the thread that prepares to read and
>> > then doesn't read but goes to do something else. That is basically a
>> > violation of the API contract of libwayland-client. Unfortunately in
>> > this case it leads to a solid deadlock. The documentation is very clear
>> > about it:
>> >
>> > * This function (or wl_display_prepare_read()) must be called before reading
>> > * from the file descriptor using wl_display_read_events(). Calling
>> > * wl_display_prepare_read_queue() announces the calling thread's intention to
>> > * read and ensures that until the thread is ready to read and calls
>> > * wl_display_read_events(), no other thread will read from the file descriptor.
>> >
>> > You could also call wl_display_cancel_read() instead:
>> >
>> > * After a thread successfully called wl_display_prepare_read() it must
>> > * either call wl_display_read_events() or wl_display_cancel_read().
>> > * If the threads do not follow this rule it will lead to deadlock.
>> >
>> > But if you cancel, then you must not read without preparing again first.
>> >
>> > The separate polling thread does not sound bad though. It is a correct
>> > design. Now that I think of it, wl_display_read_events() has a
>> > pthread_cond_wait() in it that blocks all other reading threads until
>> > the last reading thread actually calls read (or cancel). The separate
>> > polling thread, like you described it, might avoid some of that
>> > blocking.
>> >
>> > Perhaps the polling thread design is better when it is possible. You
>> > can use it in your own code, but it's not really possible for things
>> > like EGL implementations since EGL does not define an API for
>> > cross-thread wake-ups.
>>
>> I see. The only only problem here is that we don't use poll, but rather
>> libevent, which is wrapped around Chromium's MessagePumpLibevent. It
>> constantly notifies us that a fd is ready to be read.
>
> You say "constantly", do you mean it never waits?
>
>> Here is a diagram that shows the flow without a dedicated thread -
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jq8aX4cWszwL5fleE8ayGOeond70xChS/view?usp=sharing
>> .
>>
>> As you can see, it returns from OnCanRead and waits until libevent
>> notifies us the next time that we can actually read events (if prepared
>> to read previously). And if the main thread blocks because of the above
>> mentioned reason (libevent didn't have a chance to notify us), the
>> events will never be read.
>
> Are you describing the old approach or the new approach with the

I'm describing the old one as having a dedicated thread doesn't really
bring much benefits as I said in my first message.

> Doing prepare_read from OnCanRead handler seems a bit backwards. The
> prepare_read dance is to make sure that when you are going to wait for
> new events (block), you have processed all incoming events so far and
> flushed out all requests that might have resulted from those, so that
> if you are waiting for replies to those requests, they will actually
> arrive. So the prepare_read/dispatch/flush dance should be done from a
> "the event loop is going to sleep now" hook, not from "the fd has bytes
> to read" hook.

I checked libevent - they added prepare/check watchers in
https://github.com/libevent/libevent/pull/793 in Spring, 2019. Chromium
still uses libevent 1.4.15
(https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/main:base/third_party/libevent/README.chromium),
which looks to be old. It seems like we need to make an update that
hasn't been done for ages. Moreover, it seems to be patched :\ I'll need
to check if we can upgrade.

--
Best Regards,
Maksim Sisov