Wayland client, cleanup on exit

Guillermo Rodriguez guillerodriguez.dev at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 11:26:03 UTC 2023

El mar, 4 abr 2023 a las 12:53, Simon Ser (<contact at emersion.fr>) escribió:

> On Tuesday, April 4th, 2023 at 12:46, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia <
> guille.rodriguez at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > One further question: before posting this here, I was trying to verify
> > this by myself, and was wondering whether there is some sort of tool
> > that can be used to monitor resources currently in use in a Wayland
> > server. Does such a tool exist?
>
> I'm not aware of any. There is wlhax [1] which can be used to track
> which protocol objects are alive for a given client. There is the
> standard tooling to monitor allocated memory for a process. But I don't
> know of any tool to monitor Wayland objects in a server specifically.
>
> [1]: https://git.sr.ht/~kennylevinsen/wlhax

Thank you for the pointer! This is nice.

Out of curiosity, for objects that are only released when a client
disconnects (such as wl_registry), how does the Wayland server know how to
release this if the client does not disconnect explicitly. in other words
how is the resource leak on the server side avoided if the client just
exits and the OS cleans up?

Thanks again,

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez at gmail.com