[RFC] Plane color pipeline KMS uAPI

Steven Kucharzyk stvr_8888 at comcast.net
Fri May 5 21:04:35 UTC 2023

Hi,

I'm new to this list and probably can't contribute but interested, I
passed your original posting to a friend and have enclosed his thoughts
... old hash or food for thought ??? I ask your forgiveness if you find
this inappropriate. (am of the elk * act first, ask for forgiveness
afterward)  ;-)

Steven

--------------------- start

Steven Kucharzyk wrote:

> Thought you might find this of interest.

Hi,
	thanks for sending it to me.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the context to say anything
specific about it.

The best I can do is state the big picture aims I would
look for, as someone with a background in display systems
electronic design, rendering software development
and Color Science. (I apologize in advance if any of this
is preaching to the choir!)

1) I would make sure that someone with a strong Color Science
background was consulted in the development of the API.

2) I would be measuring the API against its ability to
support a "profiling" color management workflow. This workflow
allows using the full capability of a display, while also allowing
simultaneous display of multiple sources encoded in any colorspace.
So the basic architecture is to have a final frame buffer (real
or virtual) in the native displays colorspace, and use any
graphics hardware color transform and rendering capability to
assist with the transformation of data in different source
colorspaces into the displays native colorspace.

3) The third thing I would be looking for, is enough
standardization that user mode software can be written
that will get key benefits of what's available in the hardware,
without needing to be customized to lots of different hardware
specifics. For instance, I'd make sure that there was a standard display
frame buffer to display mode that applied per channel curves
that are specified in a standard way. (i.e. make sure that there
is an easy to use replacement for XRRCrtcGamma.)

Any API that is specific to a type or model of graphics card,
will retard development of color management support to a very large
degree - the financial and development costs of obtaining, configuring
and testing against multiple graphic card makes and models puts this
in the too hard basket for anyone other than a corporation.

Perhaps little of the above is relevant, if this is a low level API
that is to be used by other operating system sub-systems such
as display graphics API's like X11 or Wayland, which will choose
specific display rendering models and implement them with the hardware
capabilities that are available. From a color management point of view,
it is the operating system & UI graphics API's that are the ones that
are desirable to work with, since they are meant to insulate
applications from hardware details.

Cheers,
	Graeme Gill.