GNOME Wayland sessions die with "No GPUs with outputs found"

Shankar Ramamoorthy sramamoorthy at guidewire.com
Fri Apr 5 07:00:22 UTC 2024

 I'm trying to run Wayland on a headless EC2 instance and sessions die with
"No GPUs with outputs found".
I was wondering if perhaps there is an oversight w.r.t. the headless GPU
case.

I tracked down the message to the following code starting @ line 890 in
src/backends/native/meta-monitor-manager-native.c in mutter
 if (manager_native->needs_outputs && !can_have_outputs)
    {
      g_set_error (error, G_IO_ERROR, G_IO_ERROR_NOT_FOUND,
                   "No GPUs with outputs found");
      return FALSE;
    }
I built libmutter with the "return FALSE;" commented out and then my
Wayland sessions work.
Perhaps the headless GPU case could be handled in the mutter source code.

I'm on Ubuntu 22.04 and am starting Wayland via "gnome-shell --wayland
--virtual-monitor 2056x1329". I access the EC2 instance remotely via
NoMachine NX.
Regards,
Shankar