Wayland debugging with Qtwayland, gstreamer waylandsink, wayland-lib and Weston

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Fri Feb 23 06:14:11 UTC 2024

I have tried using "weston-debug scene-graph" and I am coming to the
conclusion that qtwayland 6.5.0 is not really using native Wayland
surfaces when Qt::WA_NativeWindow is used. From what I can see (and I
could easily be wrong) the Wayland protocol shows wl_surfaces being
created and two QWidget's QPlatformNativeInterface
nativeResourceForWindow("surface", windowHandle()) function does return
different wl_surface pointers but even at the QWidget level (ignoring
gstreamer), a QPainter paint into each of these QWidgets actually uses
Wayland to draw into just the one top level surface and "weston-debug
scene-graph" shows only one application xdg_toplevel surface and no
subsurfaces. I don't know how to determine the Wayland surface ID from a
wl_surface pointer unfortunately to really check this.

If my Video QWidget(0) is a top level QWidget, then video is shown and
"weston-debug scene-graph" shows the application xdg_toplevel and two
wl_subsurfaces as children.

Unfortunately I think "weston-debug scene-graph" only shows surfaces
that are actually "active" so I can't see all of the surfaces that
Weston actually knows about (is there a method of doing this ?).

My feeling is that although Qtwayland is creating native surfaces, it
actually only uses the one top level one and presumably doesn't
"activate" (set a role, do something ?) with the other surfaces.

Does anyone know a good list/place where I can ask such detailed
qtwayland questions ?

I guess I can work around this by manually creating a Wayland subsurface
from the Qt top level surface and handing that to waylandsink and then
manage this subsurface, like hiding, showing and resizing, when the
QWidget is hidden/shown/resized.

Or could there be a way of "activating" the child QWidget's Wayland
surface ?

On 22/02/2024 18:44, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> [...]
> with whatever Wayland compositor KDE/Plasma is using.
>

>>> The technique we are using is to get the Wayland surface from the
>>> QWidget is
>>> using (It has been configured to use a Qt::WA_NativeWindow) and pass
>>> this to
>>> the GStreamer's waylandsink which should then update this surface
>>> with video
>>> frames (via hardware). This works when the QWidget is a top level
>>> Window
>>> widget (QWidget(0)), but if this QWidget is below others in the
>>> hierarchy no
>>> video is seen and the gstreamer pipeline line is stalled.
>> So the assumption is that aren't there other widgets which obscures this
>> one, when you move it below others?
>
> My simple test example has two QWidgets with the one for video being
> created as a child of the first so it should be above all others. I
> have even tried drawing in it to make sure and it displays its Qt
> drawn contents fine, just not the video stream.
>

>>> It appears that waylandsink does:
>>>
>>> Creates a surface callback:
>>>
>>>    callback = wl_surface_frame (surface);
>>>
>>>    wl_callback_add_listener (callback, &frame_callback_listener, self);
>>>
>>> Then adds a buffer to a surface:
>>>
>>>      gst_wl_buffer_attach (buffer, priv->video_surface_wrapper);
>>>      wl_surface_set_buffer_scale (priv->video_surface_wrapper,
>>> priv->scale);
>>>      wl_surface_damage_buffer (priv->video_surface_wrapper, 0, 0,
>>> G_MAXINT32,
>>> G_MAXINT32);
>>>      wl_surface_commit (priv->video_surface_wrapper);
>>>
>>> But never gets a callback and just sits in a loop awaiting that
>>> callback.
>>>
>>> I assume that the surface waylandsink is using, which is created
>>> using the
>>> original QWidget surface (sub-surface ? with window ?) is not
>>> "active" for
>>> some reason.
>> Possibly when QWidget is below in hierarcy to be a child of of a parent,
>> as described in
>> https://wayland.app/protocols/xdg-shell#xdg_toplevel:request:set_parent,
>> so I assume to have a different surface than the parent one. This would
>> be easy to determine with WAYLAND_DEBUG. Seems unlikely to a itself a
>> sub-surface of a surface.
>
> I haven't really got the gist of whats going on, but waylandsink
> certainly creates a subsurface from the QWidget surface, in fact it
> seems to create a few things.
>
> I assume a subsurface is used so the video can be displayed in that
> subsurface separately from the parent (de synced from it).
>

>>> I am trying to debug this, but this graphics stack is quite
>>> complicated with
>>> waylandsink, qtwayland, wayland-lib and Weston not to mention the NXP
>>> hardware levels. My thoughts are that it is something qtwayland is
>>> doing
>>> with the surface stack or thread locking issues (gstreamer uses
>>> threads). I also don't understand Wayland or Weston in detail. So some