Wayland debugging with Qtwayland, gstreamer waylandsink, wayland-lib and Weston

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Sun Feb 25 08:04:30 UTC 2024

Hi,

I have investigated a bit further. I have built my own Weston server to
run under X11 on Fedora37 so I can add printf's and debug more easily
than using a cross compiled iMX8mp target system etc. I added a new
dsmc-shell to Weston which is identical to kiosk-shell (apart from
names) so I could play with that.

When It run my simple QWidget test program (test016-qt6-video-example)
which creates one top level QWidget with a child QWidget to display the
Gstreamer video in it, I see the following surfaces/subsurfaces when
desktop_surface_committed() is called in the dsmc-shell.

Surface: 16 1044,620 mapped: 1 opaque: 0
  Surface: 18 0,0 mapped: 0 opaque: 0
   Surface: 44 640,480 mapped: 1 opaque: 0
   Surface: 18 0,0 mapped: 0 opaque: 0
  Surface: 17 0,0 mapped: 0 opaque: 0
  Surface: 16 1044,620 mapped: 1 opaque: 0

Surface 16 is used by the top level QWidget, surface 18 is used by the
Video QWidget and surface 44 is the GStreamer video display surface (I
think!). This list is generated traversing the weston_surface's views
and subsurface_list lists. The mapped is the "is_mapped" field of the
surface.
Only the top level weston_surface has a weston_view in the views list it
that is any relevance. "weston-debug scene-graph" only shows the tope
most surface, no subsurfaces.

As mentioned before, If I use QPainter to draw into the video QWidget it
actually draws into the top QWidgets 16 surface using Wayland protocol.
I would have thought it would draw into its own QWidget surface 18 as it
has Qt::WA_NativeWindow set ?

I assume that Qtwayland is not "activating" the video QWidget's surface
or using it for some reason (send subsurface expose events ?) ?

I note in the qtwayland change logs, for the earlier QT5 for subsurface
changes:
dist/changes-5.6.3: - [QTBUG-52118] Fixed subsurface positions sometimes
not being committed.
dist/changes-5.11.2: - [QTBUG-69643] Fixed a bug where subsurfaces would
not be rendered if clients added them before a WaylandQuickItem was
created for the parent surface
dist/changes-5.12.0: - [QTBUG-49809] Added support for
wl_subsurface.place_above and place_below in WaylandQuickItem.
dist/changes-5.15.2: - [QTBUG-86176] We now send subsurface expose
events when a different toplevel (such as a dialog) is configured.

Could any of these be related ?

Terry