waypipe not working

Colin Rudakiewicz c.r at cwicz.org
Mon Feb 26 18:02:05 UTC 2024

Hi Michel,

Oh wow yes can confirm: /usr/bin/gnome-calculator works thank you! Indeed it displays calculator on my Windows 10 (Version 22H2 build 19045.4046) PC with Ubuntu-22.04 WSL2:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> wsl -l -v
  NAME            STATE           VERSION
* Ubuntu-22.04    Running         2
  Ubuntu-20.04    Stopped         2
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> wsl -d Ubuntu-22.04
owner at Colin-PC:/mnt/c/WINDOWS/system32$ waypipe -c lz4=9 ssh  owner at 172.28.0.179 /usr/bin/gnome-calculator

Wayland in new to me and am a bit confused by it, can I ask some stupid questions please:

1. My remote Centos 9 host, centos92 (172.28.0.179), is using Wayland (XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland) using a direct console connection it is possible to run a non wayland glxgears (x11/GL) application from gnome-terminal, confused why this is not proxied using waypipe ssh owner at 172.28.0.179 glxgears, is it because when ssh -X is omitted, DISPLAY is not automatically set i.e. Xforwarding has not been requested?

2. This works: waypipe ssh -X owner at 172.28.0.179 glxgears, is X11 is being proxied via waypipe? Can you advise please, is there an advantage/performance benefit to running older X11/GL applications this way compared to simply running: ssh -X owner at 172.28.0.179?

Thanks again,

Colin