identifying active application/window under wayland

Dan Kortschak dan at kortschak.io
Fri Mar 15 05:07:24 UTC 2024

Hello,

Apologies if this is not the correct forum for this. If this is the
case, please direct me to a more appropriate place.

I have searched the archive and cannot find any topic that appears to
cover this.

I am the author of a program that in part needs to be able to obtain
the identity of the active application and window (including its title)
being used by a user. This is required for context-dependent
configuration of an external device and also, if configured by the
user, logging of user activity for time tracking.

This is readily achievable on the platforms that are currently
supported (X11 and MacOS), but as far as I can see there does not
appear to be a unified approach to achieving this under Wayland.

Is it the case that there is no way to achieve this, or am I just
missing things that are possible? Is it the case that I may need to
only cover a subset of DEs and special-case code for each that is
supported? Are there plans to support this kind of use?

thanks
Dan