identifying active application/window under wayland

Dan Kortschak dan at kortschak.io
Tue Mar 19 09:41:29 UTC 2024

Thanks. This all seems unfortunate. I think I'll wait until I am forced
to support wayland and then sort it out. At the moment, it's too
difficult.

On Tue, 2024-03-19 at 11:04 +0200, Marius Vlad wrote:
> If the program is a client you won't be find this information, as
> that's
> inherent part of the Wayland architecture (avoid one client
> snooping on another's client data).  The program needs to be part of
> the compositor to be able to have that information. As an example,
> with Weston's kiosk shell, you can move/map windows on different
> outputs
> based on their appid:
> https://wayland.pages.freedesktop.org/weston/toc/kiosk-shell.html
>
> Depending on the compositor some of the give you the option to use
> plug-ins, or use their libraries to add additional code.

Ideally, I'd not need to target multiple back-ends, but from what I
see, this is not a concern that's held by the wayland model.

> The Wayland architecture incorporates the display server, window
> manager
> and compositor into one, there's no DE similarly to what you have
> with X.
>
> I'm not aware of a unified way of doing this, but maybe use-reusing
> XDG portals (https://flatpak.github.io/xdg-desktop-portal/docs/) to
> achieve the same functionality could be a way of doing that?

I didn't see anything in that that looks like it will support what I
need.