Integration of XScreensaver with Wayland

M Stoeckl wayl at mstoeckl.com
Thu Mar 21 01:41:29 UTC 2024

> At present the obstacles to using Wayland with XScreensaver involve
> support for screen locking and detecting application activity under
> the Wayland model.

Some Wayland compositors support protocols for these things, like:

https://wayland.app/protocols/ext-session-lock-v1
https://wayland.app/protocols/ext-idle-notify-v1

> What suggestions can you folks provide about what would be the best
> approach to using Wayland with XScreensaver.

I've written some code which may be helpful to look at:

* If you just want the animations from Xscreensaver, I made an
(experimental, abandoned) fork which can render some of them on
the background, for compositors which support the wlr-layer-shell
protocol.

https://sr.ht/~mstoeckl/wscreensaver/

* swaylock-plugin (a fork of the swaylock screenlocker) can
(similarly to XScreensaver) use other processes to draw an animated
background.

https://github.com/mstoeckl/swaylock-plugin