Qustion: Support for Splitting Application Output Across Multiple Displays in Weston

Marius Vlad marius.vlad at collabora.com
Fri Mar 29 08:45:41 UTC 2024

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 10:20:50AM +0900, Yosuke Nakayama wrote:
> Dear Wayland-devel Community,
Hi,

> I am currently exploring the capabilities of Weston, the reference
> compositor for Wayland, specifically in the context of an application use
> case that I am working on. My goal is to achieve a functionality where the
> graphical output of a single application can be divided and displayed
> simultaneously across two separate displays. This functionality would
> enable part of the application window to be shown on one display and the
> rest on another, effectively spanning the application window across
> multiple screens.
>
> From my understanding and current experimentation with Weston, this
> particular use case does not seem to be directly supported, but I'm not
> sure. Does functionality exist at this time to achieve such a use case?
In desktop-shell, maximized and fullscreen xdg-shell calls for a
particular will *not* span across multiple outputs, nor there's a way to
define a virtual output that will add up multiple physical outputs into
a virtual one. For kiosk-shell, windows will be fullscreen'ed to a
particular output. That doesn't mean this can't be done. With a (new)
shell, or maybe with additions to desktop-shell, it would allow the
following to create a virtual output:

[virtual-output]
output=eDP-1,HDMI-A-1
name=MyVirtualOutput-1

Then, the compositor will advertise this output as well such that the
client can issue a maximized, fullscreen request and have client spanned
across those outputs.