Qustion: Support for Splitting Application Output Across Multiple Displays in Weston

Alan Griffiths alan.griffiths at canonical.com
Fri Mar 29 17:47:55 UTC 2024

On 29/03/2024 01:20, Yosuke Nakayama wrote:
> Dear Wayland-devel Community,
>
> I am currently exploring the capabilities of Weston, the reference
> compositor for Wayland, specifically in the context of an application
> use case that I am working on. My goal is to achieve a functionality
> where the graphical output of a single application can be divided and
> displayed simultaneously across two separate displays. This
> functionality would enable part of the application window to be shown
> on one display and the rest on another, effectively spanning the
> application window across multiple screens.
>
> From my understanding and current experimentation with Weston, this
> particular use case does not seem to be directly supported, but I'm
> not sure. Does functionality exist at this time to achieve such a use
> case?

I don't think this is currently supported by Weston. But it is supported
by Ubuntu Frame
<https://mir-server.io/docs/how-to-configure-ubuntu-frame-for-multiple-outputs>.
Does you usecase allow you to consider alternative compositors?

--
Canonical-20th-anniversary

Alan Griffiths

Senior Engineer (Mir)