[Xcb] list oopsies; new code

Jamey Sharp jamey@cs.pdx.edu
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:49:06 -0800

--UrGtnQA9R6QcIU0f

Hey all,

Well, it's been a bad week for the XCB mailing list. Last week
*.wiki.cs.pdx.edu disappeared off the internet for a while, leading to
some of your mail hosts bouncing list mail, and causing some incoming
mail to never arrive. That's been fixed.

Then I tried to migrate us to a new list at freedesktop.org. Last I
checked, that list was dropping mail. (Looks like a subscription request
came in during this time too, which I expect got lost in the mess.)

So we're sticking with this list for a while until things stabilize.
Some important stuff is happening with XCB right now, and I want the
e-mail channels open for that. If you've missed recent mails, you can
check out the archive[1].

In the meantime, I've done some significant work on the code. First off,
the CVS repository is up at freedesktop.org[2].

I've split XCB into xcb-proto and xcb modules and autotooled them.
xcb-proto only has the m4 sources describing the X protocol. xcb adds
client-c - the macro definitions that translate the descriptions into C
code for X clients - as well as the C support code.

The messy pile of header files for XCB have been refactored into xcb.h
and xcbint.h, with the minor complication that xcb.h is generated by
merging in some stuff from the core protocol descriptions.

XCB now generates two libraries: libXCB, with the core protocol only,
and libXCBext, which currently has the SHAPE, SHM, RENDER, and DPMS
extensions (because that's exactly the set of extensions that anyone has
implemented yet).

The extension protocol descriptions have been renamed from xcb_*.m4 to
*.xcb, and xcb.m4 is now xproto.xcb.

What's left to do? A lot[3].

Thanks for your attention during this message.

[1] http://nexp.cs.pdx.edu/pipermail/xcb/
[2] http://cvs.freedesktop.org/?cvsroot=3Dxcb
[3] http://freedesktop.org/Software/XCBToDo
--=20