[Xcb] Progress

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon Dec 5 11:05:30 PST 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 01:13:53PM -0500, Jeremy Kolb wrote:
> It's been pretty quiet around here.  There's still a lot to do on the
> todo list and I know that there are some technical issues holding back
> some extensions from being fully implemented.  Is there any plan for
> addressing these issues?

No, there's no plan. I'm not much of a planner. :-) So... let's make
one?

It's probably been obvious that I've been distracted again for the last
couple of months. I've been working a bit on making the X Test Suite
pass when running on my version of Xlib that uses XCB, so that's where
all of my XCB time has gone recently. I'll probably continue putting my
time in that direction for a while longer.

I remember that your port of Mesa to XCB needs one of these "technical
issues" fixed for performance reasons, but if I recall correctly, you
can do a complete but performance-impaired port with an unmodified XCB.
Is that true, and do you want to get back to that?

Fixes for these technical issues mostly require people who can work with
XSLT. Now, XSLT is not all that hard as long as you remember to treat it
like a programming language, although there's an awful lot of stuff in
the current XSLT stylesheet for XCB. So I think that anybody who can
spare a couple of weeks to ramp up can contribute these fixes and let
extension development move forward again.

I seem to recall that Josh was considering replacing his XSLT bits with
something in a more traditional language -- Python, was it? If ramping
up on the current stuff is too daunting, somebody might try replacing it
with something that people can improve more easily. Any takers?

At the moment I have to mostly rely on you folks to follow through on
to-do items, though I'd love to get questions and I'll provide as much
help as I can.

--Jamey