[Xcb] Re: Xserver/XCB

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Tue Dec 6 07:29:20 PST 2005

[Looks like my laptop bounced this mail more or less into /dev/null, so
I'm resending.]

I don't have much to add to what Bart said, though I'd like to echo his
point that we're very interested in supporting this work. (I think it'd
be a lot easier to implement xcb-server inside an existing server like
X.org, but you can do it however you want. *grin*)

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 12:13:22AM -0800, John Davidorff Pell wrote:
> Does XCB implement events that are only ever generated server-side?
> To do so, I would just need to write them in XML, no?

Everything in the X wire protocol is described in the XML already, so
while I'm not sure I understand the question, I think the answer is that
you shouldn't need to do that.

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 05:24:50PM -0800, Barton C Massey wrote:
> I'm not sure how much of the rest of the XCB codebase will
> be useful, though.  It depends partly on whether you're
> going to try to build a multi-threaded server---there's
> pieces that might be useful for that.  I think otherwise
> there's not too much...

That sounds about right.

I've had this idea for a while, though, that there are some interesting
games you can play if xcb-server is a thin layer that dispatches into
functions named identically to the xcb-client functions. Then (with a
little bit of extra glue) you can link an XCB app directly into the X
server, which I think might be useful under some limited circumstances.

The practical side of that is it'd be nice if you generate code that
uses names and argument lists roughly identical to the ones XCB uses
now. Otherwise it should probably have no effect on your work.

--Jamey