[Xcb] design to handle requests and reply in ecore_xcb

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon Dec 12 11:41:54 PST 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 08:15:56PM +0100, Vincent Torri wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> > Does xcb-util/reply provide something like what you want?
>
> haa, i've forgotten it. i don't know if I can use it for ecore_xcb. It
> looks a bit overheaded maybe. I want to have an array and not a list. But
> what i've done looks a bit like that :)

If you really want a cookie queue, please use the xcb_reply library and
we'll fix the performance later. It'd be easy to implement a ring buffer
under that interface, for example.

> Btw, why are the threads necessary in xcb_reply ? I don't use them. Is it
> BAD ?

I provided both a multi-thread and a single-thread interface to that
library. In a single-threaded application you can just periodically call
PollReplies. As currently written, xcb_reply will pull in a dependency
on libpthread even though you're not using it, but we can fix that
later.

I claim that an event handling thread, and even a reply handling thread,
are really good ideas. But XCB and the xcb_reply library are designed to
allow you to disagree with me.

--Jamey