[Xcb] XCB error handling; my penultimate proposal

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Dec 18 19:45:11 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 09:32 -0800, Barton C Massey wrote:

> Of course, my favorite is alternative 3: "let's do both!"

I suggest that we can implement 1) now (it's what the API looks like)
and see if anyone finds reasonable uses for 2), at which point we can
add it using Bart's suggested APIs.

While the uniform behaviour of always processing errors through the
normal event loop is appealingly symmetrical, I'm afraid I haven't seen
any substantive use cases where this is better than returning errors
where the reply would have been, and there are plenty of examples where
returning the error precisely where the reply would have been makes
things far easier.

We can obviously add Bart's APIs in a later release; I only suggest that
we hold off until we find a compelling reason to extend the library in
this fashion.

-keith