[Xcb] Re: Xau and libtoolize

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Dec 21 11:24:49 PST 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 09:50:52AM -0800, Ian Osgood wrote:
> I didn't poke any more at the xcb demos, but I did figure out the
> libtoolize problem.
>
> For Mac OS X, libtoolize is named "glibtoolize" (version 1.6), which
> autoreconf will use by exporting LIBTOOLIZE=glibtoolize.

Cool! Would you document that on the XCB wiki?

> Once that  is done, Xau/configure then fails while installing
> ./missing:
>
> Makefile.am: installing `./missing'

That part looks OK actually.

> Makefile.am:17: warning: automake does not support conditional
> definition of libXau_la_SOURCES in libXau_la_SOURCES

I believe that's the reason we call for Automake 1.7. :-/

IIRC, the problem is the use of += inside an Automake conditional. It's
possible to rewrite a sequence of such assignments into a sequence of
conditional simple assignments to temporary variables, and then to
unconditionally concatenate all the temporaries together into the
desired final variable.

I'd say that I'd take a patch, except the xlibs repository is now
deprecated in favor of the X.org modular tree, which is due to be
released RSN. You might try:
  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/xorg login
  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/xorg co lib/Xau
and see if current X.org bits build more easily on MacOS X, maybe filing
patches in bug reports at bugs.freedesktop.org. You can also grab the
code formerly called Xproto from proto/X11 in that tree.

My XCB patches to Xlib are still only available in the xlibs repository,
though -- I'll be working to get them into X.org only after 7.0 is
released, and in the meantime I may as well take build system patches
for that directory since nobody else cares.

BTW, would you post to the list the details of the run-time linking
problem you encountered?

Thanks for testing!

--Jamey