[Xcb] To do

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Feb 2 09:48:56 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 01:35:12AM -0500, Jeremy Kolb wrote:
> Is there anything sort of easyish thing that needs to get done? Or
> modifications to glx/randr that need doing?

Hi, Jeremy!

The short and not very useful answer is that XCB has a to-do list:
	http://xcb.freedesktop.org/wiki/XCBToDo
But I haven't looked over that list in a while.

A couple of specific tasks came to mind when I saw your question,
though.

A convenience function built on top of XCBPutImage and XCBSHMPutImage
that uses SHM if available and core X otherwise would be great. This
is one of the few convenience functions I feel comfortable putting in
libXCB itself. If that function also split images into chunks smaller
than 256kB when using core X, that would be nice too (but possibly
harder).

Cairo (http://cairographics.org/) has an XCB rendering backend that I
hacked together quickly last January or thereabouts, and that other
people have kept up to date as Cairo's interfaces have changed. However,
it uses the X protocol pretty inefficiently. If you wanted to play with
that, we could talk about what could be done with it.

Either of those sound interesting to you?

--Jamey