[Xcb] To do

Vincent Torri Vincent.Torri at iecn.u-nancy.fr
Sat Feb 5 09:29:37 PST 2005

> > > A convenience function built on top of XCBPutImage and XCBSHMPutImage
> > > that uses SHM if available and core X otherwise would be great. This
> > > is one of the few convenience functions I feel comfortable putting in
> > > libXCB itself. If that function also split images into chunks smaller
> > > than 256kB when using core X, that would be nice too (but possibly
> > > harder).
> >
> > I have already written the code for XCBImage and all the related
> > functions. I does not work yet, but i've just finished it yesterday...
> > After that, i'll see about the shm port of it.
>
> Ooh, that's cool. If you've implemented everything that XImage supports,
> then you've figured out possibly the most confusing part of the core X
> protocol. Congratulations! You'll have to explain it to me sometime. :-)

I've not implemented all the functions. I've only create a similar
structure, and implemented:

xcb_image_create
xcb_image_init
xcb_image_destroy
xcb_image_get
xcb_image_put
xcb_image_put_pixel
xcb_image_get_pixel

for now, only xcb_image_put does not work (from one test). I don't
understand why. Is there a known reason why XCBPutImage would do nothing ?
What should i use for the graphic context to pass to it ?

> Unfortunately, if your code does everything XImage does, that means that
> it's more complicated than the piece I want to put in XCB, which I think
> shouldn't do any format conversion -- just image splitting for core X,
> and SHM where possible. Fortunately, I think that's probably easy
> functionality to separate, so we can put the little stuff in libXCB and
> make the rest available as a separate library or something.
>
> I look forward to seeing your code, anyway.

Well, it's almost all the code from Xorg (all the difficult part). I don't
think it's very interesting. And even if i understand lots of the code,
some parts are mysterious for me :)

regards

Vincent Torri