[Xcb] xlibs --with-xcb unbroken

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Sat Feb 12 01:29:44 PST 2005

Jamey Sharp wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 09:27:00AM +0100, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>
>>I still can't run xclock from the xorg tree with an XCB-enabled
>>libX11.  xterm works fine.
>>
>>Looks like a problem in getting the font list from the server:
>>

>>(gdb) bt
>>#9  0xb7e3d41e in XListFontsWithInfo (dpy=0x8054cc0,
>

> The ListFontsWithInfo request in the X protocol is quite unusual, in a
> way that makes it difficult to implement. As a result, neither XCB nor
> the XCB-based Xlib currently support it. We have a plan for fixing that,
> and a fix in Xlib is pretty clearly necessary, but so few applications
> use that request that it hasn't been a high priority for me. In fact, I
> can only think of three applications with this problem.

Any application using Xt is affected, so both xcalc and xclock crash
as well as many other legacy applications distributed with X.

> Try fdclock instead. It's prettier and should work just fine. ;-)

Yes, works fine and it looks pretty as usual.  Even kcalc and
gcalctool do.

> BTW, xterm is usually installed SGID and so ignores LD_LIBRARY_PATH. It
> sounds like you may actually be installing your newly-built libX11
> rather than using LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I've often been confused by that,
> so I thought I'd point it out. When in doubt, of course, `ldd` is your
> friend.

Thank you, I were actually setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I've just verified
that xterm really works when ran as root.  I can't overwrite my libX11 until
I get the XCB version to work with basic applications.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/