[Xcb] XCB and GLX

Barton C Massey bart@cs.pdx.edu
Mon Jan 17 11:26:15 PST 2005

Yes, eventually some 3D graphics extension will be added to
XCB, probably GLX.  If someone wanted to do that work, I
think it shouldn't be too hard given the current state of
XCB/XML.  See
    http://xcb.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fXML_2dXCB
If it is hard, I'd like to know, so we can figure out what
to do about it :-).

In the meantime, use Xlib/XCB, which is just freedesktop.org
Xlib configured with --with-xcb: see
  http://xcb.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fxcb
for some sketchy build insns.  This is the sanctioned
replacement for the no-longer-supported XCL: it should let
you freely mix Xlib stuff such as use of the Display
structure with XCB calls.  Again, if this is problematic
with GLX I'd like to know, so we can figure out what to do
about it.

We really need to update the Wiki a bit more to make it
clear that XCL is deprecated and Xlib/XCB is now the target
for a compatibility library.

We also need to get Xlib/XCB to pass the X Test Suite.  If
someone wants to help with this, such help would be
gratefully accepted.

	Bart Massey
	bart@cs.pdx.edu