[Xcb] xprint

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Tue Jul 26 08:47:12 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 15:56 -0400, Jeremy Kolb wrote:
> Quoting Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net>:
> > So Jeremy, you don't have to worry about padding anywhere before lists
>
> Jamey, the problem is that there's padding between lists in both requests and
> replies.  So we have...
>
> list of data
> padding
> list of data
>
> Is that okay as it's before the second list?

I was trying to say that padding for natural alignment is inserted
before every list, yes.

> The other thing is we have this
> occuring in at least one struct as well which if I recall correctly we don't
> support yet.

Yeah, I still don't have an answer for that. That protocol fundamentally
requires iterators, which XCB only provides for lists (because anything
else would be silly). If you can recast that structure as a list then
it'll work. The API will be crazy though.

There's some sort of generalization that should happen in both the XML
descriptions and the C API, that would make this just work. I don't know
what that would look like yet though.

I noticed that you use the STRING8 type all over, too. AFAICT that type
is not declared anywhere in XCB, though I vaguely remember that it's
specified by the core protocol documentation. I don't know why XCB
doesn't have it: maybe you could check why, and suggest a fix?

--Jamey