[Xcb] XCBImage

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sun Mar 6 21:50:42 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 09:22:51PM -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Jamey Sharp wrote:
> > Do you think it'll be
> > reasonably well-suited to being a "default" error handler for XCB-based
> > apps? Figuring out what X error just killed an XCB app is currently a
> > bit of a pain.
>
> It could definitely serve as an error handler; given that it depends on
> libxml2, I don't know that it is suitable for being a "default" error
> handler, unless people wouldn't mind that XCB required libxml2.  Of
> course, it would be easy enough to just dlopen Xamine if available.
>
> (BTW, ideally an application could recover from an error without being
> killed, right?)

Yes, of course.

I didn't really mean default the same way Xlib means default. I meant
more as a matter of suggested programming practice than as occupying a
special place in XCB's API. Mostly I want to be able to write simple
demo apps in a style that focuses on clarity, while still being able to
figure out what happened when an X error comes back. I don't much care
if demo apps depend on big libraries, especially during debugging. It's
not that hard to make a compile time option for whether X errors are
pretty printed.

The demo app in question today doesn't handle null pointers well, so
when I wrote as though the X error itself killed the app, I wasn't
exactly lying. :-)

Are your Xamine bits on-line anywhere? Google didn't find them. ;-)

--Jamey