[Xcb] icccm

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sat Mar 19 11:09:56 PST 2005

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 04:07:31PM +0100, Vincent Torri wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Vincent!

> I would like to know why SizeHintsFlags and SizeHints are not in the
> header icccm.h ? For the first, it can't be accessed, and for the second,
> as there is no doc atm, and only the header is installed, it's easier to
> know what its members are.

I assume you're talking about xcb_icccm.h from xcb-util. I wrote that
code last summer and haven't really looked at it again since, so let me
see if I can remember. :-)

Oh, right. I wanted both of those hidden: I intended for applications to
use only the setter functions. It was an effort to ensure that the
size-hints property only had valid values in it. So you're not supposed
to know what the members are, only what functions you can use to change
them. I intended to write "SizeHintsGet*" functions eventually, too.

I can totally believe that was a bad choice, but before changing it I'd
want to see an application that would be cleaner if it had direct access
to the fields.

--Jamey