[Xcb] icccm

Kevin Brosius cobra at compuserve.com
Sun Mar 20 13:01:06 PST 2005

Jamey Sharp wrote:

(snip)

> I'm going to throw out the hypothesis here, though, that an app that
> needs syncs can be re-written into one that doesn't -- one that uses a
> more event-driven model, for instance, or that gets work done in those
> round-trips. If the hypothesis is true, and the re-writing isn't too
> hard, it might be a good idea to do a re-write like that because every
> sync is obviously going to prevent the thread from doing anything until
> the server catches up.
>
> --Jamey

Yes.  This is the general direction we're headed with evas and ecore, I
think.  These two libs are the core xlib using libraries for new
enlightenment development.  Evas focuses on drawing and canvas
operations, while ecore leans toward the window creation, management,
communications, etc (that's really a broad swipe.)  It's great to see
the evas progress Vincent!

We've had a couple short discussions about architecture and you point
out the major benefit of XCB we hope to get to, Jamey.  If responses can
be tied to an expected response queue (I'm guessing), then Sync's can be
largely avoided, or at least not block in all cases.  We'll have to see
how it goes. :)

--
Kevin