[Xcb] xprint

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue Mar 22 12:45:11 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 21:33 +0100, Jonas Gall wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:22:35 -0500, Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys at hp.com> wrote:
> > It is becoming obsolete.
> I don't think so. There is lots of new development around Xprint, new
> drivers, RENDER ext., OpenGL and application support. That sounds not
> that it is going to become obsolete.
>
> > And it has little to do with Red Hat, though
> > they don't want to support it.
> In my opinion there is a difference between 'not supporting' and
> aggressively spreading the claim that 'Xprint is obsolete' and pissing
> on everyone who opposes that opinion or shows interest in Xprint
> support for their application. What Red Hat did in the past was
> looking more like a witch hunt and a shame for the open source
> community.

Fundamentally, using X as a printing API is incorrect in my view; X is a
pixel based API, and printers had best be dealt with in a resolution
independent fashion.  I want my documents to work properly
everywhere....  I know many others share my view.  And I don't think
that cross platform toolkits like Qt and GTK should have to bring along
the baggage of an entire X server environment just to print on Windows
and MacIntosh.

So one can say Xprint is obsolete (which I believe); that is not to say
Xprint isn't useful to parts of the community.

So things like Cairo are the future way forward for us to have high
quality printing in applications, as far as I can see.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that Xprint is seeing tender loving
care: I much prefer it work than the previous state of being both the
incorrect approach *and* broken, which is where we were before....

If you wish to think this is a RedHat conspiracy, I can't stop you.
I do think it isn't useful to impugn the motivations of people who have
different technical opinions than you do.
				- Jim