[Xcb] new new, improved Xlib/XCB

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Tue Mar 22 23:46:48 PST 2005

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 01:19:20AM -0800, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> If any of you are testing Xlib/XCB, would you please cvs update both XCB
> and Xlib and rebuild them? I fixed something that was an old ugly hack,
> and I have some reason to think things might work better as a result.

Things were actually a little worse, but I've fixed them: this fix to
Xlib exposed what I can only consider a performance bug in XCB, so I've
fixed that too. (wake_up_next_reader was linear-searching the pending
reply queue, but Xlib could conceivably throw 64k entries into there.
Now there's a separate 'readers' queue, which has at most one entry per
thread.) Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any of this has actually
helped with the assertion failures we keep seeing.

I've also updated the modularized Xlib to generate Xlibint.h with a
#define or #undef for XTHREADS, as appropriate. That should help for
anyone building the X Test Suite, which will report a lot of spurious
errors against Xlib/XCB otherwise.

--Jamey