[Xcb] Extensions split into their own libraries; Debian packaging updated for X11R7; TODO

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sun Apr 16 21:45:41 PDT 2006

Nice work, Josh! Thank you.

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 01:19:26PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Still TODO:
> * Split the Debian packages by library, which requires some
> debian/control stanzas and debian/libxcb*.install files.  I plan to
> script the generation of these files to make it easy to add more
> extensions in the future; note, though, that such generation cannot
> happen automatically as part of the build, since the build process must
> not modify debian/control.

As I recall, we can have a debian/rules target for that, as long as it
isn't invoked automatically as part of the package build process. Right?

> * Set a non-zero library version.  Jamey, can we officially declare the
> API/ABI stable?

Recently you and I got as far as deciding that XCBGetRequestRead and
isn't the right function for its job, but we had a little trouble with
what we should provide instead. I think we should quickly wrap up that
conversation before finally doing the ABI bump. This is bug #6120, and
no other bugs affect API/ABI in backwards-incompatible ways.

#5961, #5962, and #6105 are also API changes, but they're only additions
and should be compatible. Unless someone implements them sooner, I'll
plan on focusing on those for a 1.1 release or something.

> * make distcheck and release version 0.9 as a "preview release".
> * Upload packages to Debian, either experimental or unstable.
> * Build Xlib/XCB packages for Debian experimental (not unstable, since
> they won't come from a released Xlib).

Sounds good. Maybe we'll spread word of the preview tarball around some
of the other distros too? :-)

--Jamey