[Xcb] double buffering

Thomas Hunger hto at arcor.de
Wed Aug 23 03:20:20 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 05:00, Barton C Massey wrote:
> Someone in the X community probably needs to build a
> library to handle all the various ways double-buffering
> can be done in a coherent fashion.  Jamey's opinion
> though, with which I concur, is that this should be a
> separate fd.o project.

Does that mean that there is no "preferred" way for double
buffering? So far I see two ways if dbe is deprecated:

1) Rely on the composite extension and a composite client to
   redirect my drawing to off screen storage. Then send
   damage reports after redrawing.

2) Create background pixmap. Problem: When should I free
   the pixmap? Is there a way to create "soft-allocated"
   pixmaps which the server can claim when it needs space?
   I cannot find anything in the protocoll.

Tom

p.s. is this the wrong mailing list for this discussion? I
found some related threads which did not really answer the
question of double buffering:

"[Xorg] Damage/Composite + direct rendering clients"
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2004-May/thread.html#614

"Does composition render double-buffering useless?"
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2006-July/thread.html#16683